Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Sexy things

I am hungry and tired; not good things to be when dealing with THE PUBLIC.


I worked on my (very first!) lecture for two hours this morning. I'm not sure about it - I've never used PowerPoint and I can see how the temptation to but too much information up is there. I think I may already have seccumbed actually ... But it's all so fascinating. I need a snappier title; right now, I've just got: Revolution and Reaction: Treason and Plot in the 1790s - which is to-the-point but not very sexy at all. Perhaps I should replace some of the text with pictures? Maybe some maps. Maps are pretty and sexy - with all there 'ooh come and explore me' manner. It's a thought.


And Torchwood to look forward to tonight - it's like a massive train-wreck of a show: I just cannot look away regardless of how cringe-worthy it becomes. What will become of Cap'n Jack and his band of wandering supernatural vigilantes? Well, thankfully (or specifically, thanks to The Guardian's 'What to watch' section - nanny state! Ha!), I don't have to leave you in suspense, even if you live far far away and have to wait to watch:


Torchwood 9pm, BBC2

"Amid the snarling, shouting and awful, contrived sexual tension between Captain Pratt and the team, there's an interesting idea here - the consequences of leading a double life. Gwen, the moral centre of the show, considers said issue when her nice-but-dim boyfriend, Rhys, apparently one of the few Cardiff residents unaware of Torchwood's existence, discovers she's a member of the world's least secret top-secret organisation. That a giant telepathic alien manatee is involved should by no means discourage viewing."


I, for one, am not discouraged. I welcome such diversion after the intellectually draining day of trying to divine what library patrons actually want from out their garbled expressions of desire - or, even more fun, their sullen silence. If you aren't sure where you sit with the crazy Torchwood team and their time-hopping, alien-seducing behaviour - this review of a season 2 episode made me want to keep watching ...

No comments: