Tuesday, July 15, 2008

'mad-crazy-blazing brilliant'

I hope one day something I write, wear, or do is described thusly. Though in my critical little heart, I know it sounds ridiculous. Nothing like superfluous adjectives and stacked superlatives to make a sincere appreciation/admiration tip over into possible parody of the same.

Anyway, I didn't like the first of this sequel series - or are they prequels? Or haven't they caught up to Burton's efforts anyway? Why are we still watching these? And what happened to Superman? Now there's a hero for the times. Batman. Honestly. If someone could read the psychology of the day from the heroes we regurgitate what would they think? Batman. Crushingly self-aware, paranoid, tortured, dark; - it's Dirty Harry with a gym-membership, a therapist, and a better gadget guy. Same vigilanteism - but for Brucey, it's a hobby; for Harry, it's a job (and therefore suspect - though I've always thought it rather funny that immense wealth is what puts Batman above suspicion).

Okay, so I haven't seen the film yet.

And that wasn't the point of sitting down to blog a bit...

Graduating from my PhD was by far the most rewarding. I think it was the hat. And it was the only graduation I've attended where I got to sit with a group of friends who were also graduating, go out for lunch with families in tow - all that fun stuff. Natually, since we had guests over, it rained for a week. But it was a really relaxing and nice, unrushed and calm visit with my parents.
*post silly picture here eventually*

No comments: