Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Half-full

I managed to begin today by dumping a latte down the front of my shirt - my white shirt - about an hour before seminars. Too late to rush home and change with any hope of getting to class on time, I discovered that my shirt was made of some magical (possibly radioactive) material that not only absorbed the coffee but also rendered it near impossible to spot.

Then I got to campus to find an email announcing that my chances of remunerative academic employment just dropped even further for the next academic year.

On the plus side, the weather has turned and it is absolutely gorgeous outside. I finally got a good night's sleep - most of my marking is done - and I'm planning to finish work at the library, get a coffee and a table at the local java joint, and read some Derrida.

Really it's not so bad - what I look like is never my biggest concern. Okay, generally I'm cleaner looking but I don't think it really had an effect on my teaching! The news about next year is gutting but hopefully will be motivation for getting some serious research done this summer. I'm all about the half-full today.

1 comment:

リチャード スミス said...

Glad you got cleaned up, and even better that you had a good night's sleep the night before. Sorry about the latte, though.