Thursday, August 27, 2009

new beds for old heads


Two posts in one week! I'm spoiling my readers...

After a strenuous evening of wrestling with Ikea furniture (seriously, it was almost a cliché), we have a new bed, courtesy of a friend who moved to France. It is so big that we've had to move into the larger room, temporarily displacing our office. We seem to have this urge at least once a year: the desire to turn our living space upside-down and reorganize. At least we're not moving house this year - the rent didn't change so neither did we.

Our friend Susan took this photo of Nas in Dublin - I'd forgotten in my last post about Guinness and oysters: a combination Nas assured us was not to be missed (we just watched in any case). Yes, August doesn't have an 'R' in it so we squashed that handy aide memoire but no harm seemed to come of it (at least not to Nas - the oysters likely felt differently...).

We've been watching The Shield to quell our ongoing sorrow that The Wire only went five seasons. It's interesting - no comparison with The Wire - but it's kept us watching nonetheless. I can't tell if it is being 'edgy' just for the hell of it, or if it is aware of its problematic representations of race and gender. And some of the writing is just so...so...Fox. Michael Chiklis turns out to be far more watchable than The Fantastic Four would suggest at any rate. In lieu of a The Wire Christmas special (which I don't really want to see...), I'll likely see it out.

This week we've eaten fewer courgettes than we should have, given the rate at which we're producing them at the allotment. Nas made some truly divine zucchini bread the other day. I wonder if I shredded courgette, would it freeze well enough to make such delicacies in the dead of winter? Worth a try? And I'm making 'fritto misto de mari' tomorrow night as a celebration dinner: I am a mostly employed academic. Nothing says woohoo like fried fish.

No comments: