Friday, December 14, 2007

School's out

It's the last Friday of the regular term and the library is very quiet. The staffroom is full of mince pies, christmas cake (with cheese, which my friend assures me is a delicious northern tradition!), and home-baked cakes and biscuits (fundraising drive). It's less full than it was as my break was last hour...luckily I found a fiver in my wallet and donated to fill my tum.

Yesterday I had my viva (defence) and passed with 'minor corrections' - which means typographical and editing errors. It was the hardest exam I have ever sat. My examiners were brilliant - they were interested and engaged with my work and made me feel totally comfortable while ripping it to shreds. In all honesty, about half way through the viva, I really did believe I would be given a pass with minor deficiencies - or majors (the dreaded referral). I was shocked when my internal recommended that I be awarded the degree pending editorial corrections.

It was exhausting as well - but I really really really enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be that difficult but I'm glad it was because I can honestly say that I was put through my paces and earned this degree. My supervisor was so lovely as well - and we had a brief chat after the viva in her office about how quickly the four years went by - she said it felt like yesterday that my proposal landed on her desk...! I have been very fortunate in my supervisor: she has been so supportive throughout my degree. This degree has cost me a lot - financially and emotionally (I have been checking for grey hairs and none yet!) - but I can honestly say that it was worth it twice over and I would do it again - just for the friends we have here and the life we've made, if not the agonizing self-doubt and hair-tearing stress of PhD life.

So here I am, at the end of traditional education - and thankfully, it is no 'end' at all.

2 comments:

Troy D'Hondt said...

Congrats Kaley! I can't imagine the stress you were under. I'm glad it went well!!

kaley said...

Thanks Troy!! Will see you and Firda next weekend...