Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Not even a pop

So the world didn't end when the Cern excellerator was turned on. Not even a blip in my electricity at home. Not that I'm disappointed - though I've never read the studies by the fellows who attempted to launch a lawsuit on behalf of EVERYTHING, claiming that turning the machine on was putting all life in serious danger. I'm curious who would have benefitted from the payout - of course, if they are right, I suppose the point is moot.

Since the world didn't end - and I should go back to long-term planning - I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't take advantage of the hysteria generated far from Leeds (clearly). It might have been a good laugh to host a 'Final Bang' party or similar - or make up (if not actually complete) one of those completely sentimental 'Bucket Lists' so popular with the kids (or at least old men) these days. Instead, I spent what could have been my last days on earth in much my usual routine - which meant the usual great deal of work avoiding my usual routine ... Someday I'm sure I will emerge from my chrysallis woven of procrastination, foot-dragging, and general laziness into the super-organised, efficient, and professional academic that I know is inside.

If I can be bothered ...

Oh grin, dear reader, I was mostly kidding.

2 comments:

Troy D'Hondt said...

They didn't actually start doing any collisions in the particle smasher. They don't do that until November. From what I understand.

kaley said...

yea, they just initiated the two beam thingys - what I understand is not that much. But nonetheless, the papers were full of collective sighs of relief - possibly premature!