Thursday, May 24, 2007

29

This is the last day of my 20s. I don't mind turning 30 - but I don't like, as my friend put it, the public pressure on 30. People keep offering to 'cheer me up' and 'keep me company' on my birthday, rather than celebrate it! I like turning 30; I especially like the fact that 30 will mark the end of my formal education. I will be a 'Dr' at 30. 'Professor' by 40? Maybe.

It's a fun mental game to think about 30 years ago today. I wasn't here. Or I was here? But not here? This would have been the last day of my parents' lives as two. I'm sure people prepare for these things but I'm also pretty certain that the actual screaming, pooping, realness of a baby is different from whatever was imagined. And that was me.

And why, exactly, does 30 loom so large in the cultural imaginary?

At any rate, I am going to enjoy this last day of 29 by sitting in my office reading articles and writing my thesis. Tomorrow...!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm pissed... I keep making comments on the blogs but they never come up. Anyway, after a very long comment on this, which appears not to have... appeared... I will say HAPPY BIRTHDAY and welcome to the 30s. With the time difference, I just barely missed the day by an hour. Sorry about that. I miss you guys dearly.

kaley said...

We miss you too Rich! It's been far far too long. Glad we're back in touch at least.