Monday, November 20, 2006

Cinema thots

I forgot to mention - we saw The Prestige on Friday night. Has anyone seen it? I'm not sure what to think of it. I want to like it but parts of it were really terrible (David Bowie as Nikola Tesla - but with simply dreadful Russian accent; Christian Bale's fairly awful cockney accent; Scarlett Johanssen's almost-there English accent) but there were some really interesting themes. Alas, typically, the ending was far too heavy-handed - for a film about magic and showmanship, it displayed a total lack of subtlety.

I've discovered that it is a book - I thought all the way thru that it would make, in the right hands, a brilliant truly Gothic story - so I'll have to read it. There is one significant deviation from Priest's novel - one that involves the surprising effect of Tesla's machine. But I think the more interesting story is Borden...anyway... I don't want to ruin it for anyone who wants to see it - though it might be worth waiting for the DVD release.

No comments: