Friday, November 03, 2006

another Friday

I just lost an entire post...very frustrating. Anyway, my eyes are blurring and my head hurts and I blame G.J.Barker-Benfield and The Culture of Sensibility. I've been reading it all afternoon, trying to decide how to define 'Sentiment' and 'Sensibility' in my dissertation. Fun times. Met my supervisor this morning - lovely as usual - and now know the likely panel for my viva this time next year. Slightly scary - but kind of exciting too. It's nice to know this has a definite end in the not-so-distant future.

Yesterday I bit back my pride, withdrew money from our Canadian credit line, and paid for those things that must be paid for: university fees (I was half-hoping that they'd accidentally give me my scholarship again this year...alas...), new gym membership, new underwear...(new convert to Bravissimo right here). Briefly entered fug of 'why-am-I-still-broke-and-a-student?' but snapped out of it by the time I got home (it was pitch out and only 4.30!). So now I'm officially a student again, officially a gym member, and I have underwears without holes, sticky-out wires, etc etc etc.

For the record, my seminar classes did not like Dryden. I must find a new angle on it to get them into it a little more next year. They did thank me for the annotations that I handed out, which was nice. It's a tough piece - doubly so for students without much knowledge of either the Bible or Restoration history. Curious? It was Absalom and Achitophel, A Poem.

No comments: