Friday, November 24, 2006

dear santa...

One week left in November 2006 - is it trite to say something like 'where does the time go'?

Our friend has returned to Leeds with the winter - she'd laugh if she heard that since a big part of leaving Leeds was escaping the winter! At any rate, it's great to be welcoming someone home rather than sending them off.

I still haven't figured out what I'd like for Christmas. I cringe at the price of books - especially when I'm a member of one of the best research libraries in the UK - I don't like technology; I have a mobile. I suppose I could use new trainers for the gym as I've been using my squash shoes...but then, I've been using my squash shoes and they've worked so far! Stuff for my garden? I don't think I can carry seeds into Britain from Canada. Kitchen gadgets? The only kind of technology I like! but then, anything quality is heavy (a very dear friend once carried a pasta machine to ours from Canada - very very dear!). Besides, our kitchen is the size of a closet and pretty much full. Clothes? How dull. Jewellry? I don't really wear much and I'm not much of an accessories person. Shoes? YES but kind of a strange thing to ask for - I'm not sure why, but people don't tend to buy shoes as gifts...

Am I one of those people? One of those impossible-to-buy-for people? I don't think so. It's just that I usually feel like my family knows me better than I know myself - that and they are all those people: you know, the can-find-perfect-gift-for-anyone-anytime people.

For me, I prefer thinking of all the lovely things to do at home:

* watch telly with Grandma and Papa - they've always had the most comfortable floors - great soft carpetting.
* practice Gran's recipes (with her expert supervision) - she doesn't write anything down so every year I try and learn how to make those things I've taken for granted.
* have breakfast with mum and dad in the kitchen - with CBC on the radio and The Globe and Mail on the table
* chat with mum in the kitchen - I don't know why, but we always have the best chats in the kitchen while making food.
* dinner-discussions with dad! And game-night...we'll have to think of a new one for this year (last year was Cranium year...)
* go to Vietnamese place with aunt and uncle - my dad's sister is probably the greatest aunt ever and they know the owners of the best Vietnamese place...
* go out with sibs et al. - my sibs don't get nearly enough coverage on this blog
* meet Nina - this is really part of the last item...

'See everyone from home' is just too big...but I really hope we get to see some friends that we missed last year, and our newly-wed friends in T.O.

But to do all of that, I need to:

* finish chapter
* finish teaching
* pack
* pick up Christmas puds from Harvey Nicks
* get train tickets to London

Huh. What's the day again?

Oh yeah...just to tease...I've got the special-est gift ever for the bro this year...!

4 comments:

Troy D'Hondt said...

There is another Vietnamese place in Brantford. Pho 95. There is on in Kitchener and it's super great. Though I know you guys know the owners of the other one in Brantford.

nas said...

we'll try them all! Can't wait to see you guys! Poss for a birthday dinner?

nas said...

I think you are thinking of Pho99 which closed down about two years ago - another excellent place opened in the same location (really good noodles...)00000000

Troy D'Hondt said...

Birthday dinner indeed. What date are you guys in town? And Pho 95 just opened up recently (we saw ADs for the place in the Asian food market in Kitchener). I'll have to email you guys before you head home :)