Saturday, August 25, 2007

Full-on panic

This is NOT the time to suffer from writer's block...and yet, here I am, sitting for the fifth hour in a ROW in front of my computer monitor which is showing me the product of the afternoon's work. Namely, three sentences that I have re-arranged, rephrased, and recycled for five hours.

I have found 7 different quotations - ranging from Edward Coke to Carole Pateman. Have re-arranged them at the beginning of this chapter chronologically, thematically, and alphabetically. I have started with 'put simply' - and stopped there. I have returned to my notes. I have used the work 'mythopoetic' - correctly! - in the first sentence. And 'hermeneutic' in the second. I have skimmed paragraphs from my finished chapters. I have thought seriously about starting and finishing my introduction with 'please turn the page'. I have considered slamming my hand in the door to provide an excuse for an extension. I have curled up on the floor of my office and tried to have a hysterical fit.

I've also tried coffee.

I'm still staring at those three sentences. And the longer I stare, the less sense they make. I spent yesterday afternoon moving my things from my library office to my teaching office - conveniently, the library is closed this weekend until Wednesday. You'd think no body worked around here! Now I've moved from my teaching office into the PG cluster. Still nothing. But it is warmer.

Surely, I'm getting warmer.

3 comments:

J. S. said...

*pets Kaley*

How about an hour of Not Thinking About Thesis, with either an alcoholic drink or a refreshing cup of tea? A change of location? A walk around Hyde Park?

Can you tell I'm good at procrastination? ;)

Jennifer

kaley said...

I plan tomorrow on bringing emergency tea/alcohol/biscuits...umbrella/walking shoes...train pass...

*purrs*

The Manual said...

O dear! I remember suggesting "Put simply, ...". I only hope that your silence on here is the result of a thesis break through.

Personally, I am going to try and be better with The Manual.

See you soon?