Thursday, August 23, 2007

the headlines today

I thought I'd read the Guardian today while working at the library to take my mind off of my thesis. I really shouldn't have - haedlines today:

[Gordon] Brown condemns 'henious' killing of 11-year old boy
WHO predicts more global epidemics
Texas executes 400th inmate in 25 years
Three held after street shootout

And my personal favourite - the one that made me seek out alternative news sources: Hotel Katajanokka, Helsinki - a prison-themed hotel.

So I typed 'good news' into Google - and waded through the Christian and gospel sites for awhile. Then I found the Good News Network International. It's a bit cheesy - but isn't anything happy just a bit cheesy? and isn't that just a reaction stemming from cynicism and bitterness - bred of reading too much 'news'. I mean I suppose I'm just used to shaking my head at the newspaper - I don't even read the stories anymore, generally I can just see the paper and shake my head at the stupidity, ingratidude, brutality, and short-sightedness of 'the world'.

And then I found The Happiness Project. And I got even more cynical - and jaded - and ready to find fault.

But I really like it. It's funny. It's silly in many ways and it's neither breath-takingly new or original. But then, happiness isn't either, I suppose. And the really neat thing about happiness is that it doesn't care if you are miserable. It's happy. Nothing like a resolutely chipper attitude to just put the finishing touches on a foul mood, right?

Being happy takes resolution though. Finding good news takes time and some digging. Getting used to reading and hearing good news - that takes even longer, I find. But for some reason, there is a cultural attitude that happiness is slightly embarassing. I mean, we're all supposed to want 'happiness' - we (in the West anyway) spend a fortune on the merest whiff of happiness: hair products, clothing, food, vacations, gadgets, gear...pills, self-help, 'happiness coaches'. I'm pretty sure I've gone on before about the pressure such a concept of happiness can exert - if we're not happy (happy, mind you, not merely content), we're failures somehow. But being a failure is always easier than 'winning'; it's much easier to be miserable because it requires nothing - as I say, don't even open the paper, just start the daily mutters. Happiness gets lumped in with dippy smiles, 'sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops', pastel colours, and some kind of new age, soft-edges spirituality. It's easy to kill that by congratulating myself on my irresolute ability to see the real - to cut through the crap - to take it on the chin.

I think I'll find a new newspaper. Here for you, reader, I present another alternative, or supplemental, media: Positive News. Here's to a balanced breakfast.

No comments: