Monday, April 21, 2008

Free Education

Among the stranger things I've seen while stationed at the Reception desk of the library - a student protest for free education just passed by the steps. I'm not sure if they are intending to take their protest elsewhere - they're on their way now. There were about 50 of them - hopefully they will collect stronger numbers before appearing in front of the administration.

Free education. I'd be more interested (in a selfish way) if they could work in a grandfather clause so's I could get back my tuition...

But in a universal scheme - yes, free education would be nice. Even dropping tuition fees would be a gesture in the right direction. I don't know which is worse: students who demand grades reflecting the financial investment rather than any intellectual investment in their work, or students who don't care cause it was all free. But I've just had a dreadful two hours trying to get my students to ask questions and discuss the material we've supposedly been learning for 10 weeks... So I'm possibly not in a very positive frame of mind!

Which also makes me too tired to ponder for long.

2 comments:

Troy D'Hondt said...

Free education works in Germany and France (and likely a bunch of other European countries). I don't know how well they work but I've had some friends go through the German system. They did their Ph.D.'s as well.

I would imagine the number of permanent students is much higher in those countries :)

kaley said...

It would be nice to have a government that supports such things - the UK gov (like Canada and the US) has been reducing the budget for education for years. Most of the faculty at my uni got their education free - it's just starting to really go up now.