Friday, April 04, 2008

new things

We've had a 'new' week - new shoes, new flat, new bed-linens ... it's nice on the soul, if a bit painful on the paycheque! But at least I can say that nothing was an impulse buy and everything was needed - and kinda overdue. I still have buyer's remorse though - which is ridiculous. It's clearly the result of conflict between my excessively practical side and my fluttery spending side.

But I did need new shoes - my good old black boots haven't quite given up the ghost but they can't be my daily wear anymore. The seam broke on the leather so I've taken them to be restitched - again. The woman at the counter recognized me and my poor old boots. But they are comfy and otherwise okay, so I'll give them one more life: resoled, re-stitched, and cleaned up. And I bought a pair of shoes; I usually (always) wear boots but it's summer (well, will be someday) and they have rainbow stitching so I was hooked.

AND we found a new flat for July - which is so exciting that neither of us really want to stay in this place anymore... we always do that though: when we moved from our old place to here it was the same. But this new place is far far nicer. It's a lovely 2 bedroom flat with no carpets and closets - no stupid, space-wasting wardrobes - closets. And it is on an upper floor, has windows on two sides, has no smell of mold or damp, no spots on the walls... it is perfect. And has the added comedy value of the cats skidding around on the floors when they play!

Just to finish off the week as well we finally bought some new duvet covers - the cheapest we could find (yea...Ikea...which means that our bedroom now looks like everyone else's) but they are bright and colourful. They feel spring-y. And our last sheets were ready for the rubbish bin.

And still a week off of teaching - Easter break is four weeks - which works well in this instance as I still haven't finished marking...

2 comments:

meli said...

that sounds like fun! you don't need a new bookcase for your new flat do you? i have a very gorgeous (though rather large) one i need to get rid of at the end of june...

nas said...

i can speak for both of us and say YES to a large bookcase!