Saturday, June 14, 2008

Justice and generosity

Steve (formerly Marx) didn't make it. While I'm sad because he died, I know that he was a hurtin' little beastie and the vet likely did a kindness in putting him down. It's not fair - it's not fair that things have to hurt and suffer and I know I sound like 6-year-old but it is not fair and I won't have it. I get it - I know that life is tough all over and what is one cat in the balance of the universe - which never actually seemed a very fair argument to me as it just assumes (once again) a human-shaped universe - maybe one cat is precious - maybe one bunny or frog or spider or flea or protazoa. Life is unique and so we clap ourselves on the backs and say well aren't we even more special - aren't we worth that much more cause, well - I'll be - just look at me looking at myself! We've got consciousness and what that gives us first and foremost is the ability to look round and decide that we're the most important things here. All this potential to understand things; to demonstrate grace; to change things - which we do every bloody moment - and look what these people chose to do with it.

But I'm also happy - or satisfied - that Marx at least was happy and safe and even liked a little for a few weeks before he died. Not everything - or everyone - will get that; but that doesn't take away from the rightness and goodness when it does happen.

We'll be letting Marx's ignorant, stupid and lazy owners know what happened to him. It will mean nothing to them - but then, I don't care - the world is too small for them and they will stand on the wayside and we will move forward.

No comments: