Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Catching up

Keeping up on this blog has proven darn near impossible with my new 'working academic' lifestyle - actually, I've given up on keeping up with anything beyond scraping by week-to-week with my classes. Today my very very reticent class finally admitted - well, one brave or fed-up student admitted that they weren't following my seminars. When I opened the next seminar with a discussion of how the module was going, they responded positively to the seminar structure. I have to admit that the idea of designing four different seminars - one for each group in the module - is rather daunting, especially as just writing a lecture and staying on top of the reading takes up most of my free time.

Other things that are interesting: the snow is gone. It's actually gone quite mild and the first crocuses are coming up in the park. I've never noticed crocuses in Canada - I love them here. On the last really snowy weekend, Logan, Laila, and I watched our neighbourhood fox play in the garden next door. I love our flat - I still love our flat: I love the view over the school and across the valley on nice evenings. The fox must have been as confused as most of the population at the snow but seemed to be having a good day of it.

I've now been rejected - ever so nicely - from three Canadian universities. And one UK university.

I tink it is all the fault of the internet: more specifically, Facebook. History repeating: I seem to remember the same 'concerns' and anxiety directed at television, comic books, the internet in general, fashion magazines, 'entertainment' news, tabloids, ... ... I wonder if Lady Greenfield has read this? Lack of narrative indeed!

A colleague in America found this - it just has to be posted - and every time I remember it, I remember how much I love this business...

No comments: