Monday, November 19, 2007

ties that bind

It's sad when a great mind veers into narrow-minded prejudice. I'm worried that it is happening more and more - there was Dr James Watson and his comments last month; now it's Martin Amis.

And then there is the 'traditional family' debate - the phrase alone elicits the same response I have to nails on a blackboard or metal scraping metal. I don't know the source of this anxiety that seems to grip defenders of the 'traditional family'; frankly, I have no interest in plumbing the depths of intolerance and ignorance. But here comes another volley from...yes, the RC church, closely followed by perennial bedfellows, the Conservatives. 'Another blow struck against fatherhood'? Are men really that insecure with their role in reproduction? How, exactly, does a lesbian couple, or a gay couple, represent a threat to the 'traditional family'?

There is a link between Amis' comments and Cardinal Murphy O'Connor. Both seem slightly obsessed with being overpowered - a fear of colonization. It's bizarre. I'm typing this surreptitiously at work so I can't really get my thoughts together.

No comments: