Tuesday, January 15, 2008

one of these things doesn't belong

I realise that this blog is becoming a running reaction to The Guardian - it being the news source I read most frequently (or at all...). I will find some other source of commentary I promise. But for now, this scared me cause I think, for the first time in my life, I am the object of an article like this.

I am a foreign national.

And I don't want an ID card.

I wouldn't want a Canadian ID card if I lived in Canada and the scheme was reversed (giving ID cards to citizens). I like how they have turned it around here though - suddenly not as much reaction when the target of this nationalistic, jingoistic branding is resident aliens - or 'foreign nationals' since we're being so PC about it.

I've never felt like I didn't belong here. And I've never before felt like I might not want to.

No comments: