Monday, January 14, 2008

the principles of the thing

A friend of mine says that people always think 3 things about themselves: 1) they are a good friend, 2) they have a good sense of humour, and 3) they are good in bed. Not spectacular in any category but I think most people would have to be really stripped down - psychologically - before they give up on these things. Of course, that is more pithy saying than actual fact - I've never conducted any kind of poll to back this up. But it rings true. To me.

Which is the point of the moment: the other thing that most people would generally 'admit' to is thinking themselves generally all right really. Again, not in a spectacular way - but at heart, all right really. That is, the very best of intentions + the usual time/money/energy equation which leads to can't-be-bothered-at-this-moment but will certainly do something about it on the weekend... Hey, I'm not about to claim that I'm any different. In my heart I am the most ethical of ethical consumers - my home a veritable shrine to sustainable living principles. In reality, I don't make the time nor save the money - body and mind at rest certainly resent the initial push to move in any direction.

It's not that I think that there is a moral absolute that I'm failing miserably to meet. It's just that morality and ethics are impossibly difficult to tease out. Can I be less accountable because my bank balance determines my purchases? Does that excuse buying Fairy washing-up liquid (every bubble a dead fish or destroyed habitat) for 99p rather than the extra 90p for Ecover? What about less directly economic concerns? or at least ones that don't affect me directly? What about the more difficult issue of political and ideological support? And just how far down the rabbit-hole can I go? The question of fair-trade, especially around clothing and household products - formaldehyde in my furniture? - is something I haven't even broached. How long can I claim that it's pointless for me to consider it, as we don't own our house?

In short, can I be a little bit good? And can't I lie-in just a little bit longer?

No comments: