Friday, October 06, 2006

Whiskers on kittens


are normally one of my favourite things.

Which is why when Nas called me yesterday while I was in my office to say that a kitten had washed up with the rain outside our door, I rushed home.

This Kitten, however, was not a happy one. As soon as Nas put her down in the house (after rescuing her from the wheel-well of our neighbour's car - and being bitten for his efforts), she bolted behind the stove, under the cupboards, and crawled around our L-shaped cupboards to the furthest corner she could reach. The one that we couldn't get to or see no way no how. We pulled out the stove, the washing machine...thought about pulling apart the cupboard until we realised it was likely structural. Or at least built so badly that there was no way of telling which board would pull the whole thing down. So after much anxious fretting on my part and calmness on Nasser's, we put some food and water in the cupboard, shut the door cause Logan was very curious and left the kitten to find her own way out. I went swimming cause I couldn't take the waiting.

This morning, she was behind the fridge. Now she's in Logan's cat-box (permission obtained). She's a sorry little thing. We thought at first that she must be lost but now we think she's likely been left. She's calico with white feet and a white nose but dirty and a little smelly. And she has a weepy eye and a cough. But she's eating and drinking and has used Logan's litter box (no permission sought!).

Nasser has forbidden me to name her.

This afternoon she is going to the veterinarian and we are going to try and find her a home. Preferably not this home - but who can tell. Perhaps we can hold an online poll for names. In the meantime, to warm your September-chilled hearts, check out the much loved and linked-to Kittenwar.

UPDATE: Her name is Laila and she has taken over our bathroom for the right now...she's definitely a stray (I officially hate all people who don't spay or neuter their pets - may dreams filled with a scantilly clad Bob Barker haunt you eternally) and she has Feline Herpes, Cat Flu, fleas like you've never seen, and worms. She's also anemic... So £45 later, she's flea-free, on her way to being worm free, and on penicillin. She also smells much better - in panic, she pooped and peed all over the carrier on the way to the vet. Logan's been vaccinated against cat flu but she's still in quarantine.

Just like all those birds I brought home, mum! By the time I'm 60 I'll be finding stray horses on my door or something...

No comments: