Saturday, January 20, 2007

Things I like about my job

1. Shelving books. This sounds like jobworthiness. It's not. To be honest, having to shelve books does me more good than the collection. I have found most of the research material for the historiography issues in my thesis from shelving in the modern history section than from endless searches on the e-catalogue. Today, for example, I will be spending my lunch perusing The Writing of History by Michel de Certeau.

2. The building. It really is inspiring in that way that always seems to evoke classical music and warm cosies in my deep-down-ivory-encased academic heart. It's only in the last few years that I've begun to understand and pay closer attention to the dynamics of space. Most people, including myself, are familiar with the usual sentimental plea of appreciating natural space - all that 'stopping to smell the roses' (literally) drivel. Not until my oldest friend in the world married an aspiring architect (who continues to aspire - after all, says Dr Freud, the end of desire is death - but has achieved architect status) and I went here, did I pay much attention to the construction of space. Anyway, to make a long story short, I love this building. And I think it might love me back.

Okay, that's all I could think of - just to balance out all the days when I hate my job and don't post about it...

Stuck in my head: Death Cab for Cutie - I will follow you into the dark (I've actually had this in my head since I read about it here)

No comments: