Saturday, February 17, 2007

and then there were seven...

Seven months, that is (until The Deadline). My supervisor wants to see a 'complete draft' of my thesis in five weeks. This is good as my deadline is 30 September - still far far away - but also terrifying as I'm quite happy in the cocooned academic world of post-graduate research. Even though I'm occassionally sick to death of living like a student (tho I don't mind the discounts - particularly on rail travel!), I find I'm rather afraid of those first big steps in the world without teacher.

Which is ridiculous because as Dr Cox finally tells JD, 'you and your "colleagues" have all actually learned enough to start teaching each other' (it's a bit flat as the performance is really inimitable). And of course, (in the most optimistic of moods as it is beautifully sunshiny outside and the library is quiet), I have my students.

At any rate, I'm nearly finished my dissertation which is really rather amazing. I may have to go and have a drink tonight to celebrate the fact that after all that stress, I'm not going to have to dash to the finish.

What else?

I made another loaf of bread all by my lonesome. um...we're still running - which is very good. I really should have applied to the IGA conference but my idea is still a bit skechy and I'm not actually sure that I'm talking about Gothic texts. But there is a very exciting conference in Aberdeen, hosted by the Centre for the Study of the Novel, which is at least more affordable!

After this weekend I have five weekends off in a row! I hope that this lovely weather holds and I can get up to the garden. Next weekend is the seed-potato sale/real-ale festival in Saltaire - I know, you all wish you were here. Well let me tell you - there are few things more enjoyable than an ale festival in the north of England.

No comments: