Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I wanted to be Mr Black

30 minutes again! This time without pushing. The whole running group was out this time - the Bulgarian Bullet, the Tortise, the Carrot (me!), and the Fa(s)t of Leeds. We're thinking of getting shirts like a bowling team. I'm going to propose that we all run the Run for All in June. We were down by the canal again today and it works out perfectly when all of us are out as the Bulgarian Bullet and the Fa(s)t of Leeds are much faster - as the name may suggest - than the Tortise and myself. In addition to being one of the loveliest people I've ever met, the Tortise is a great running partner. When it's just the Bullet, the Fa(s)t, and me, I run too hard trying to keep up (or impress the Fa(s)t).

My pilates instructor caught me cracking my neck in class yesterday and told me off for it. It was embarrassing. I'm trying to quit...really...after this last cra--*...ahhhhh... Pilates really is improving my posture and the pain in my shoulders and upper back from typing for long stretches. But enough about me, let me tell you about me.

We've re-signed on our place as the last thing we want to do in the middle of writing up is move. We gave them a list of repairs and such but have so far heard nothing. I'm giving it to the end of the week before I start taking out my writing-up frustration on the property agent.

The fifth season of Buffy is on Sky at the moment - in the morning too. Fantastic for getting in that ass-kicking mood so necessary to spending the entire afternoon in the library...

Oh yes, just got the new Explosions in the Sky album - really wonderful. Go get it.

I just realised that it's Shrove Tuesday. Our friend who now teaches in Turkey was famous round these parts for his pancake parties - real Canadian-style pancakes, (with real Canadian maple syrup for those who appreciate it and corn syrup with maple flavouring for those indifferent) not crepes which is what they serve here when they promise 'pancakes'. According to The River Cottage Family Cookbook, what I consider 'pancakes' are actually 'drop scones'.

So I suppose Lent is beginning. A good time for reflection. Which I suppose, traditionally, is done sometime between Christmas and New Year's - before making a 'New Year's resolution'. Who on earth can reflect during the Christmas season? Christmas Eve mass is like an oasis of calm (and potential absurdity when the sermon involves robots) in a whirlwind of family and food (my idea of heaven). Though I'd propose that resolutions and changes follow Lent rather than be part of them. I get the whole giving up indulgence and the origins of the season (is Lent a season? I suppose if January and February are now 'Awards Season', Lent has its credentials in order), but I think 40 days of reflection would produce at least a resolution or change with half a hope of lasting longer than Easter dinner.

No comments: