Friday, March 23, 2007

It's where I hang my hat

Overheard just down from the uni steps. Speaker: female, young, would-be rah, clearly undergraduate, likely of some vapid communications degree. Situation: (from what I could ascertain) fallout of a recent seminar discussion combined with commentary on some related social event.

'Don't call me a feminist! I ain't a feminist!'

Yes dear. Because god and Primark forbid that you associate yourself in any way with the movement that enabled you to attend the institution at which you took the course that prompted such a reaction.

As I was about to board the bus home, the lady in front of me dropped a pound coin inbetween the pavement curb and the bus wheel. But she continued to board so I assumed she hadn't noticed. So I picked it up. And found her on the bus and handed it back. The response to my 'excuse me ma'am, I think you dropped this'?

'Ta, luv. I ded, bu' whern't gan t' ben' dahn t' ghet ih'.

Lovely. I should have kept it. What kind of person doesn't pick up a bloody pound?! That's a whole bus fare home!

Then, just as the bus reached within sight-distance of my stop, a group of school-girls at the back started yelling 'BOGEYS' at the top of their prepubescent lungs.

Considering the things I've heard loudly proclaimed on public transit, I thought it was kind of sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell does 'Bogeys' mean? I mean, I know it has the meaning of 'unknown' or 'enemy', like in movies with air-fights, "I've got a bogey on my tail!". I also know it's not really a good thing in golf. Aside from that, what were these kids trying to say?

kaley said...

boogers. And why are you not my facebook friend?