Saturday, March 17, 2007

Not nearly (bad as it seems)

It wasn't so bad - in retrospect; at the time, I was fairly furious. But the sofa in the PG common room isn't half bad for a nap. It's a pretty cosy room - though the windows do bang against the sashes a bit. Oh well. I did get ripped off by the taxi-man for my ride home - £4.50!! My last fivver...

He's not the worst husband ever - just a bit of a deep sleeper. Luckily work yesterday was busy-ish (for the library I'm at anyway!) so I didn't have to sit at the desk for any long stretches. I even shelved for over an hour. Last day of term - all the kids brought their books back - the shelving bays were stacked. Shelving is actually fairly relaxing; it's dead easy, repetitive, and requires little to no thought.

There's a job posting for a year-long position at Leeds in 18th-century literature. I've emailed my supervisor to ask her opinion but I think I will apply for it - with no hopes but that of gaining some experience in a nice familiar setting. I've got the teaching experience - just not the publication record. In the next two weeks I have to finish my chapter draft, write a proposal for a collection of essays, and now, write up and submit my CV and application for a REAL JOB. Yikes. So much for Easter hols.

That being said, I do have motivation - we've been invited up to the Lake District! If that doesn't get me going, eager to finish everything, nothing will.

BTW, it's Mother's Sunday here - and it snowed today. I don't think these things are related. But the sun has suddenly appeared and it is beautiful outside now. I prefer Mother's Day in May tho that might be purely nostalgic since my favourite mass when I was a kid (Catholic school - yes, I had a favourite mass) was the one dedicated to the Virgin Mary in May (which I was taught was the 'Month of Mary' and got to feel rather special that my birthday was in that month too) that kind of extended to all mothers. I remember the church was beautiful - this was before they painted it an ill-conceived shade of pink - and of the heaps of flowers there, most of them were Lillies of the Valley, which I loved for some reason. I loved the hymns to Mary as well.

Anyway, the point is - happy mother's day mum! and Grandma! But I'll call on the real mother's day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know you guys had a blog... and a husband/wife blog to boot! I hope this isn't a substitute for real communication... hahaha... but knowing you guys it isn't. Would never have found this if not for facebook. I am beginning to dislike SNSs, as I am in far too many, but hey.

kaley said...

Hey Rich!! What's an SNS? Yeah...I tried to stay out of facebook cause all my students are into it - but my people need me.

Anonymous said...

Kaley: I think SNS means 'Social Networking System' or something, like MySpace or Facebook. Anyway, awesome to be in touch.