Thursday, September 14, 2006

alles Gute zum Geburtstag!













It's my grandmother's birthday today - I wish we were closer. I wish I could give her an enormous hug and kiss and say 'happy birthday' to her, rather than over the phone. But I can't. And I know she will say that's okay and that I should worry about me and finishing my work - and that she doesn't like birthdays anyways cause they just remind her how old she is.

A few things I should point out:
  • my grandmother is beautiful
  • my grandmother's life-story is amazing
  • my grandmother is the wisest, most generous, kindest and most courageous woman I know
It's possible that everyone thinks exactly the same thing about their grandmothers. I don't know them - but it's the truth about mine. I suppose it's a fairly cliched part of growing up that people who existed only as 'grandmother' suddenly and sometimes alarmingly become whole individuals with their own lives - most of which had nothing to do with me. I am constantly humbled by my grandmother's love - which is nearly a palpable thing: as secure as her lap and as encompassing as her arms. I don't know how I earned it but it always comforts me when I doubt myself and what I'm doing 5,000kms away from her.

Happy birthday Grandma!

No comments: